We all know someone out there who doesn’t like to read, doesn’t have time to read, or only reads non-fiction. Maybe that someone is you! I obviously have strong feelings about Christian fiction or I wouldn’t spend hours a day reading, studying, and writing it, so I thought I’d share with you five good reasons to pick up a Christian novel and give it a go:
- Stress relief. Anxiety, depression, and overall stress levels have risen dramatically over the past few years. According to WebMD, a 2009 study from the University of Sussex found that reading was able to reduce stress levels by 68%. That makes reading more effective at reducing stress than other restful activities like taking a walk or listening to music. (https://www.webmd.com/balance/health-benefits-of-reading-books).
- Get to know yourself and others better. How can that be when you’re reading about made-up people, you ask? In every Christian novel I’ve ever read, the characters are like true-to-life people, representative of you and me. Observing their interactions with God and life provides new layers of insight and understanding regarding real people, and has even been shown to increase empathy.
- Exercise your brain. Every part of the body needs exercise to stay healthy, and reading stimulates the brain, providing benefits like reducing the risk of cognitive decline and dementia. It also helps you develop better vocabulary and writing skills.
- A refreshing break. Like any form of entertainment, reading provides a temporary break from the pressures of real life. Most of us seek out entertainment in one form or another, and grabbing a Christian novel is a healthy, uplifting break, rather than a mind-numbing escape like other forms of entertainment can be.
- The Bible says people are glad when they read encouraging messages. *throat clearing* “The people read it and were glad for its encouraging message.” –Acts 15:31. Okay, maybe they were referencing a letter to the Gentiles and not fiction, but I stand by my claim. 😉
Are you convinced yet? Let me know below if anything in the list surprised you! And if you already love Christian fiction, let me know what your reasons/benefits are for reading it. Thanks so much for stopping by, and happy reading!
(And if you aren’t already subscribed to receive my monthly newsletter full of contests, humor, and updates, I’d love to have you join me! As a thank-you, you’ll receive my WW2 home front novelette, Love on a Whim, for free! You’ll find the sign-up on the side or bottom of this page.)